[Samba] Windows ACL adjustments, permission denied

Mike Partyka mpartyka at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 23:05:41 GMT 2006

OK, I found my problem and i am a little ashamed it took me this long to
figure it out but here goes.

The error i was getting when trying to adjust the ACL was "Changes could not
be saved, access is denied"

using Winbind, i had done the following:

#chgrp "MRPARTYK/Domain Users" /ftproot

which left the owner as "root". I have an entry in the /etc/samba/smb.conf
file the equivalates root to administrator, so i thought that having the
owner as root was acceptable, but i am guessing that the smbusers file only
maps in one direction, from Unix ->Windows and not Windows -> Unix, because
the solution was:

#chown "MRPARTYKA/Administrator" /ftprooot

Once i did this, i was able to change the ACL, all i wanted. Hope this saves
someone some effort down the line.

Thanks for the help i got from members of this list!