[Samba] WINS - resolving names with underscore

Ludo Koren lk at tempest.sk
Tue Jan 3 16:42:16 GMT 2006

Hi,

I am running samba-3.0.20b on FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE. Recently, the LAN
must have been rearranged to use VLANs. So I added DHCP and WINS
support to samba master browser. There is old historical domain which
runs some applications that cannot be moved yet and has NT4 PDC and
BDC (which uses names with underscores). The domain is made trusted
and trusting to samba domain. In samba domain, everything works as
should...

All names registered in WINS are found except names with underscores
in them. (I know the names with underscores do not comply RFC1035,
where the use of underscore in names is not allowed.) Now, all clients
accessing the resources from another broadcast domain in old NT4
domain cannot resolve names with underscores.

Is there any possibility to force WINS server running on samba to
resolve names with underscores?

Thank you very much.

Regards,

lk