[Samba] winbind failing with error: resource temporarily unavailable

P D sarcasmo2005 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 16:16:00 GMT 2006

Hi,
I've encountered a really wierd problem the winbind process when trying to
start up the samba services, I hope someone can assist
I start up the smbd service from the command line (using "smbd -D"), it
starts sucessfully
When I then attempt to start the winbind service (using "winbind -B")  it
immediately responds with message: "open_winbind_socket: Resource
temporarily unavailable"

For the life of me, I cannot figure out where this error is origionating
from. It was all operating fine, I was fine tuning squid configurations on
the box. A reboot of the box, and I can't get the services to start up
again. I'm assuming it's a samba issue and not a squid issue, even though
the last thing tweaked was the squid.conf file.

 The box has the following installed RHEL 4, Samba 3.0.21rc2,
squid-2.5.STABLE12.
The box was joined to a AD2003 network, and was sucecssfully authenticating
userids against the AD2003 domain.

Has anyone got any thoughts on where to trace the root of the problem. I've
cleared the .pid files, and I've checked the directory & file permissions.

thanks in advance
PD