[Samba] Trouble Connecting to Server

Eric Hines eehines at comcast.net
Mon Jan 2 23:39:12 GMT 2006

Folks,

I'm having trouble connecting to my Samba server.  The immediate
symptom is that I cannot see my Samba server in my Windows Network
Neighborhood, and so I cannot connect to it to check my share connections.

I'm running SUSE 9.3 on the server, which is running Samba (3.0.22) ,
a dhcp server (which seems to be running correctly--everyone gets an
address when they ask for one), and a dns server with ddns operating
(via the dhcpd).  NIC 192.168.1.2 faces the Internet and gets there
through a Linksys router/switch on 192.168.1.1.  A Win2k PC sits on a
192.168.2.0 subnet; this subnet's NIC is set to 192.168.2.2 (the PC
itself gets IP 192.168.2.9).  A laptop dual bootable between SUSE 9.3
and WinXP sits on a 192.168.3.0 subnet; its NIC is set to 192.168.3.1
(the laptop gets 192.168.3.9).  Both of these subnets must go through
the 192.168.1.2 NIC to get to the Internet; all devices have easy
access to the Internet.  A poor man's ASCII art diagram lies
below.  Both the XP laptop and the Win2k PC have the same symptoms,
so I'll just talk about the PC.

.3.0 ----.3.1--samba/dns/dhcp--.2.2---.2.9

                                 .1.2

                         Linksys .1.1

                           Internet

I have the following entries in its smb.conf:

         netbios name = lserver0
         workgroup = astra_ent [of which both the laptop and PC are members]
         interfaces = 192.168.2.0/24 192.168.3.0/24 lo  [I can't use
eth1 and eth2 as SUSE 9.3 assigns the ethx to different NICs on
different boot ups]
         name resolve order = wins bcast hosts

My /etc/hosts file on the SUSE has the following entries:

192.168.2.2    lserver01.test1.biz     lserver01 lserver0
192.168.1.2    sserver.test.biz       sserver
192.168.3.1    lserver02.test1.biz     lserver02

Being cheap (perhaps pound foolish), I've not registered the test.biz
domain; although if it comes to that, I will.  I have "registered" it
by putting the sserver line from the /etc/hosts file into the PC's
(for now; the laptop solution should look much the same) hosts file
(which the PC reads just like an lmhosts file).

IP Forwarding is turned on on the SUSE box, and ddns is enabled via
the dhcp server (and is evidenced by the resolver cache on the
PC).  The Win2k's resolver cache has both forward lookup and reverse
lookup files for sserver, sserver.test.biz, and all the lserver0x and
.test1.biz names. The PC's WINS is pointed at the 192.168.1.2,
192.168.2.2, and 192.168.3.1 NICs.

I can ping all by hostname, as well as by FQDN; although it appeared
that I could not ping sserver by hostname only until I added sserver
and its FQDN to the PC's host file (which it reads as though it were
an lmhosts file).  I say "it appeared" because it looked like the
forward and reverse look up files for sserver appeared in the PC's
resolver cache before I made this addition, but I got too fast with a
ping test and contaminated that datum.

Eric Hines

There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of
the vast majority by adequate governmental action.
         --Bertrand Russell