[Samba] passwords expiring

Scott Mayo sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us
Mon Jan 2 15:29:25 GMT 2006

Scott Mayo wrote:
> My passwords have expired again in my LDAP/Samba setup.  I have been
> reading in the Samba How-To and just want to make sure this is what I
> need to do before I try it.
>
> If I want to have my passwords expire in the year 2015, do I need to do
> the following to all of my users?
>
> pdbedit --pwd-must-change-time="2015-01-01" --time-format="%Y-%m-%d"
> username
>
> Using the ldap-usermod has not seemed to do anything.  I have reset them
> twice with:
>
> smbldap-usermod -e "2014-01-01 01:01:01" -A 0 username
>
> and they are still expring after around 40 days.
>
> Thanks for the help.

Well I tried the following:

pdbedit --pwd-must-change-time="1419120000" username

which should have set the passwords to be changed in the year 2014.
When I do a:

pdbedit -L -v username

it still shows that my password must change in about 40 days, but
changed the 'kick off day' up to the year 2014.  Do I need to set the X
flag?  I am not sure what that is going to do if they passwords must
change next month, but the X flag is set so that they do not expire.  It
kind of contradicts itself.

Thanks again for any help.

--
Scott Mayo
Technology Coordinator

Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it
holds the universe together.