[Samba] Connection with WinXP Error

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Sun Jan 1 17:27:00 GMT 2006

I have Samba 3 (latest version) installed on a FreeBSD 5.4 system.

I seem to be getting error messages in my log file, etc. that I am unable
to decypher.

I tried running this command:

 	smbclient -U% -L localhost

and this was the output:

Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.20b]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

This is the log file output:

log.127.0.0.1
[2006/01/01 12:09:36, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(575)
   Can't become connected user!

The following is the [Global] section of my smb.conf file:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 216.45.217.148 (216.45.217.148)
# Date: 2005/08/21 11:05:15

# Global parameters
[global]
lanman auth = no
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
load printers = no
preferred master = no
local master = no
domain master = no
dns proxy = no
wins server = 192.168.0.2
ldap ssl = No
valid users = [snip]
admin users = [snip]
netbios name = budman
restrict anonymous = no
max protocol = NT
server signing = Auto
security = user

What should I do to correct this problem. I believe that this failure is
one of the reasons I cannot get KDE to properly access my WinXP machine.

--
Gerard
gerard at seibercom.net