[Samba] Connecting to SAMBA for first time takes a very looong time

Rob Tanner rtanner at linfield.edu
Tue Feb 28 20:06:36 GMT 2006

I'm running Samba 3.0.14a-2 on FC4 as a print server.  The system is
joined to the domain and I'm using the domain security model.  Pretty
much, it's configured like my old Samba 2.2.7 server (which this new box
is replacing).  On the PC side, printers are assigned to a user via a
VBScript running under a group policy.  The first time that script runs
and tries to add the printer to the windows machine for a specific user
(all our windows machine are XP SP2), it takes anywhere from 2 to 6
minutes.  The next time that same user logs in, it's quick.  When a
DIFFERENT user logs in for the first time to the SAME machine, it again
can take from 2 to 6 minutes.  If, however, the same script is instead
attempting to connect printers on the Samba 2.2.7 server, all is quick
in every case.

I'm not sure if this is a configuration issue (don't know what parameter
might affect it), a bug, or a problem in the windows domain.  Any idea
where to look and for what?  What information might be helpful for me to
post.  I have included below the global, printers and print$ sections of
smb.conf.

[global]
    workgroup = CATNET
    security = DOMAIN
    map to guest = Bad User
    password server = 10.170.131.14
    root directory = /
    passwd chat =
    log level = 1
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 0
    announce as = NT Workstation
    load printers = No
    machine password timeout = 691200
    preferred master = No
    local master = No
    domain master = No
    wins server = 10.170.131.11
    oplock break wait time = 10
    ldap ssl = no
    remote announce = 10.170.131.11/CATNET
    invalid users = linfield
    admin users = root, rtanner, marvin
    write list = rtanner, marvin
    printer admin = rtanner, marvin
    printable = Yes
    printing = lprng
    print command = lpr -r -P'%p' %s
    lpq command = lpq -P'%p'
    lprm command = lprm -P'%p' %j
    lppause command = lpc hold '%p' %j
    lpresume command = lpc release '%p' %j
    queuepause command = lpc stop '%p'
    queueresume command = lpc start '%p'

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printer admin = @ntadmin, rtanner, mblanco, marvin
    printing = lprng
    print command = lpr -r -P'%p' %s
    browseable = No

[print$]
    comment = Default Printer Driver Location
    path = /usr/local/share/samba/printers
    write list = @wheel, @ntadmin, rtanner, marvin, root
    printer admin = @wheel, @ntadmin, rtanner, marvin, root
    guest ok = Yes