[Samba] hanging smbd(s) revisited

Fermin Molina fermin at asic.udl.es
Tue Feb 28 19:34:53 GMT 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 16:58 +0000, Matt Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Feb 2006, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> > Matt Johnson wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Just to add -- our fcntl locking issue is on Linux, we've
> >> seen it on 2.6.9, 2.6.13.1 and 2.6.15.3, running Mandrake 10.2.
> >> locking.tdb is on a local disk. All smbd child processes are
> >> blocked on apparently the same fcntl when it happens.
> >
> > Hmmm...ok.  That ruins my theory.  I thought you were on AIX
> > as well.  And just to make sure, you are running Samba 3.0.21b
> > as well?
>
> Correct -- 3.0.21b on Linux 2.6. We had the same problem with 3.0.20 but
> it was MUCH more frequent... 3.0.21b seems to have reduced the frequency
> of the problem occurring but it does still seem to be there.
>
> If you need logs please let me know what level... the problem we have
> though is that the issue is apparently entirely non-deterministic, I
> can't replicate it on demand.

I have had exactly the same problem. I reported that in thread "Samba
daemons hang trying to lock locking.tdb", about Jan 25.

I had a NFS mount from another server and then shared with samba. I
moved the information on that server localy to the Samba server
(avoiding NFS). All goes ok from that change.

I don't understand why it works, because all smbd daemons were hanging
in the previously commented fcntl call, that locks "locking.tdb" (that
was located in local filesystem, not in any NFS mounted shares).

I'm using FC4 with last updates (kernel included) and samba 3.0.21b.

Cheers,

--
Fermin Molina Ibarz
Tècnic sistemes - ASIC