[Samba] Re: Moving samba PDC to new machine (same name?)

Mark Nienberg gmane at tippingmar.com
Tue Feb 28 18:51:06 GMT 2006

Paul Smith wrote:
> Mark, thanks for the link.
>
> How does this look?
>
> OLDSERVER:
> Stop Samba.
> Backup smb.conf, smbpasswd, passdb.tdb and secrets.tdb from /etc/samba
> Backup *.tdb from /var/lib/samba
> Make note of the users/groups UID/GIDs
> Power down
>
> NEWSERVER:
> Power up server
> Change hostname to OLDSERVER
> Install latest Samba
> recreate users/groups with same UID/GID as the old server
> restore backed up files (smb.conf, smbpasswd, passdb.tdb and secrets.tdb
> from /etc/samba and *.tdb from /var/lib/samba)
> Recreate shared directories
> Run testparm
> Start Samba
> Check domain SID is the same as the old one

  When I did it I had the 2 servers running at the same time for a while
so I could move data from old to new using an nfs mount.  This took a
few hours to move approx 100 Gb.  Of course I did this with smb off on
both machines.  Then I stopped the old server, changed the name and ip
address of the new server, and continued as you outlined.

Mark