[Samba] [Repost] W2K Offline Files strange locking behavior

pfb4212 at rit.edu pfb4212 at rit.edu
Tue Feb 28 14:48:18 GMT 2006

Dear All,
   I want to enable Offline Files support on several Win2K SP4 laptops.  We
have a samba file server.  I have researched as much as I could to get
answers and here is what I have.  I am unfortunately unable to get this
working properly.  If anyone can answer or point me in to a good resource,
I would greatly appreciate that. I am attempting to offline profile
directories mapped to network drive letter X:.  Here is my config for the
profiles share:
-----------------
[Profiles]
     comment = Shared User Profiles
     path = /home
     invalid users = nobody, guest
     create mask = 0600
     directory mask = 0700
     map acl inherit = Yes
     case sensitive = Yes
     hide special files = Yes
     store dos attributes = Yes
     csc policy = documents
     dos filemode = Yes
     dos filetime resolution = Yes
-----------------

I get an error similar to the following for every file that I try to make
available offline:
 Could not make 'somthing.doc' available offline. The specified file can
not be found.

If I create a new file, it appears as available offine, but I can neither
delete nor rename it.
At that point I usually start to get an Access Denied error on the entire
shared drive and am forced to restart.

The share is stored on a RHEL 3 server running Samba 3.0.9-1.3E.5 with an
EXT3 file system with ACL support enabled.
I have also included my global configuration at the bottom of this email.

Here is my test procedure.
  -I make a share available offline.
  -It synchronizes showing all current files as "Unable to make 'file.txt'
available offine on '\\server_b\profiles\testuser\My Documents'. The system
cannot find the file specified."
  -I create new files in the folder while online.  They appear oplocked in
samba status:
      DENY_NONE RDWR  EXCLUSIVE+BATCH  /home/testuser/My Documents/New Text
Document.txt
  -I attempt to give the file a name. This results in "X:\My Documents
folder does not exist.  Do you want to create it?"
  -The oplock is removed.
  -If I edit the file and attempt to save changes, I get "This file exists
with Read Only attributes. Please use a different name."
  -If I then name the file something else, the file is created on the
windows side and appears offline available. The file appears on the samba
server also.
  -If I try to save this file again, I repeat the "This file exists with
Read Only attributes..." situation from above.
  -Now, if I take the computer "offline" by disconnecting the NIC... all
files behave normally.
  -After reconnecting, all files that were changed on windows while offline
are synced to the samba server.

Could this have something to do with case sensitivity or such?

ANY help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!  -Cheers, Peter.

====================
[global]
      workgroup = EXAMPLE
      realm = EXAMPLE.COM
      server string = File Server [ServerB] (Samba %v)
      security = ADS
      password server = SERVERA
      username level = 5
      log level = 1
      log file = /var/log/samba/%m
      max xmit = 65535
      name resolve order = host wins bcast
      socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=65536 SO_RCVBUF=65536
IPTOS_LOWDELAY
      load printers = No
      logon script = \\servera\netlogon\logon.bat
      logon drive = X:
      logon home = \\SERVERB\Profiles\%U
      lm announce = No
      preferred master = No
      local master = No
      domain master = No
      wins server = 10.0.2.1
      lock spin count = 30
      lock spin time = 15
      ldap ssl = no
      idmap uid = 1000-2000
      idmap gid = 1000-2000
      template primary group = @
      template homedir = /home/%U
      template shell = /bin/bash
      winbind separator = +
      winbind cache time = 10
      winbind use default domain = Yes
      winbind nested groups = Yes
      printer admin = jdoe
      read only = No
      create mask = 0660
      directory mask = 0770
      inherit permissions = Yes
      inherit acls = Yes
      delete veto files = Yes
      veto files = /.AppleDouble/.AppleDesktop/Network Trash Folder/
      veto oplock files = /*.sem/*.qbw/*.mdb/*.nsf/*.log/*.id/*.ini/
      csc policy = disable
      strict locking = No