[Samba] Need Advice

Nathan Vidican nvidican at wmptl.com
Tue Feb 28 13:33:04 GMT 2006

Okay, first off: You cannot replicate/use Samba as a BDC when an actual NT
server is the PDC; though functionally the same, the storage and back-end
facilities differ too much from NT4 to Samba+LDAP to necessitate PDC/BDC
relationships. NT4 has it's own way of communicating with BDC's and it's not the
Samba way. So, make a choice: Samba+LDAP vs NT4... personally, my monies on
Samba+LDAP. We're running Samba PDC & BDCs here using OpenLDAP trees slaved with
slurpd replication to a master tree - works great (knock on wood) for about 75
office and engineering users here.

Domain trust relationships do exist, but to what extent that will be useful to
you is beyond me, I opted for the 'all-opensource' route myself. If an
inter-domain trust relationship can be setup, using the usernames/account
information from the current PDC; then I'd go with creating a new domain/PDC
using samba at the second site and try it personally. This would make it easier
for you to eventually migrate the main site over and get away from NT4... not to
mention give you some practical experience with the remote site vs having to
migrate/figure it all out at the same time. But again, the inter-domain trust
relationship(s) between NT4 PDC and a Samba+LDAP PDC are beyond the scope of my
skills and better left to others on this list to answer. I just thought it a
good point to point out that replication between NT4 PDC/BDC is NOT possible to
Samba as a BDC afaik.

--
Nathan Vidican
nvidican at wmptl.com