[Samba] Wrong user used when mounting with mount.cifs

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Sun Feb 26 23:21:09 GMT 2006

> me at workstation ~ $ mount /mnt/samba
> Password:
>
> drwxr-xr-x  27 notme    users   0 Feb 22 08:46 samba

I think the 'notme' user is the same UID as whoever owns the remote
share - so if you look in the remote smb.conf for the \\server\share
definition, see which directory it points to (say /some/share) then I'm
guessing you'll find that the 'notme' user (or the remote user with the
UID of 1002) is the owner of /some/share.

In order to get around this I think you have to mount with the noperm
option to disable permissions, and then I think you also have to disable
UNIX extensions for this to take effect.

Cheers,
Adam.