[Samba] Problems with Samba after update

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Sun Feb 26 10:29:21 GMT 2006

I am using Samba on a FreeBSD 5.4 machine.

I just updated to the newest version of Samba (3.0.21b,1) available in
the ports system. The old version was working fine, but since there were
a number of ports that I had that were out dated, I simply updated them
all.

The problem is that Samba does not appear to be working correctly now. I
can access the FreeBSED machine from any of the WinXP machines without
incident. However, the reverse is not true. I have tried running the
following command which produces this output:

smbclient -L boss -U username%password
timeout connecting to 192.158.0.4:445
timeout connecting to 192.158.0.4:139
Error connecting to 192.158.0.4 (Operation already in progress)
Connection to boss failed

Absolutely nothing has changed other than the updating of Samba and a
few other ports -- mostly KDE. The WinXP machines are untouched. There
is no new firewall involved, etc.

--
Gerard Seibert
gerard at seibercom.net