[Samba] 'inaccessible' via windows client

Steve Monteiro steve at viewplus.co.uk
Sun Feb 26 10:09:05 GMT 2006

Hi Henrik,

Here is a cut down version of smb.conf without comments:

[global]
        workgroup = vp
        server string = vault
        hosts allow = 192.168.2.
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        dns proxy = no

==============================
        idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
        idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
        template shell = /bin/false
        winbind use default domain = no
        guest ok = yes
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

[backups]
        path = /data/backups
        writeable = yes
        browseable = yes
        guest ok = yes

[xsm]
        path = /xsm
        writeable = yes
        browseable = yes
        guest ok = yes

Access to the xsm folder is fine.  backups which is located on my second
drive
appears under my Windows client but reports inaccessible when I double-click
it.
For now both folders are chmod'd 777

a df -h produces:

/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                      8.2G  1.4G  6.4G  18% /
/dev/hde1              99M  9.9M   84M  11% /boot
/dev/shm              252M     0  252M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda1             230G   61M  218G   1% /data/backups

and my fstab is:

# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/devpts             /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
/dev/shm                /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/proc               /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
/dev/sys                /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/sda1               /data/backups           ext3    defaults        1 1

Thanks,
Steve