[Samba] Basic setup password problems

Chris Lamb chris.lamb at insightbb.com
Sat Feb 25 21:42:22 GMT 2006

I have been playing with this for 5 hours and am at the "cool down
stage" and asking for help.

I finally came across the following site:

http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/FastStart.html#anon-example

Following their example, I stripped down my smb.conf file to the
following:

#Global parameters
[global]
workgroup = chophome
netbios name = chopmain
security = share
[data]
comment = Data
path = /o2e
read only = Yes
guest ok = Yes

When I go to my windows box, i can browse and view the o2e folder.  When
I click on it, a Windows Logon screen appears with "chopmain\Guest"
greyed out as the User name and asks for a password.  It doesn't matter
what password I use, it will not let me in.  The windows account has the
exact same username and password in Linux.  The o2e directory is owned
by that account.  The smbpasswd file also has the same account set up in
it.

When I try it from DOS with "net use" the response is:

To connect chopmain\Guest to chopmain, press ENTER, or type a new user
name:

If I hit enter and use a blank password for Guest, it doesn't work.  If
I put in the actual account that exists on both machines, it still
doesn't work.  The error is "System error 53 has occurred.  The network
path was not found."

Any ideas?

I feel like I'm spinning my wheels now.

Thanks in advance.