[Samba] hanging smbd(s) revisited

Matt Johnson mwj at doc.ic.ac.uk
Sat Feb 25 16:58:30 GMT 2006

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Matt Johnson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just to add -- our fcntl locking issue is on Linux, we've
>> seen it on 2.6.9, 2.6.13.1 and 2.6.15.3, running Mandrake 10.2.
>> locking.tdb is on a local disk. All smbd child processes are
>> blocked on apparently the same fcntl when it happens.
>
> Hmmm...ok.  That ruins my theory.  I thought you were on AIX
> as well.  And just to make sure, you are running Samba 3.0.21b
> as well?

Correct -- 3.0.21b on Linux 2.6. We had the same problem with 3.0.20 but
it was MUCH more frequent... 3.0.21b seems to have reduced the frequency
of the problem occurring but it does still seem to be there.

If you need logs please let me know what level... the problem we have
though is that the issue is apparently entirely non-deterministic, I
can't replicate it on demand.

cheers

--M