[Samba] WINS and INet~Services name

Leon Stringer leon.stringer at ntlworld.com
Fri Feb 24 18:21:23 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 16:00 -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 08:56:39PM +0000, Leon Stringer wrote:
> > The problem I get is when any host running IIS tries to renew its names
> > with the Samba WINS server (e.g. after the default 5-day period) the
> > renewal fails for *all* names for the server.
> >
> > As I understand it the problem is with Samba's WINS server
> > implementation not handling the mixed case Windows uses for the
> > "Inet~Services#1c" name. (Am I correct in thinking all other NetBIOS
> > names are upper case only?).
>
> No, that's not the issue, at least not with modern nmbd code.
>
> You might want to try upgrading from 3.0.4, I definately fixed
> case-sensitive bugs in this code between then and now.

I've upgraded to 3.0.21b and my problem still occurs. Here's a test
case:

1. When I boot a Win 2000 Server host with IIS services starting by
default the server name *can* be resolved by my Samba WINS server
(tested with nmblookup from another server).

2. If I then do "nbtstat -RR" to renew the registration (presumably this
is the equivalent of the 5-day renewal period) the name can *not* be
resolved.

3. If I then stop the "World Wide Web Publishing Service" and "IIS Admin
Service" services and do "nbtstat -RR" the name *can* be resolved.

4. If I then start the above services and again do "nbtstat -RR" the
name again fails to be resolved.

So presumably there's still an issue if it's not case sensitive.

Am I missing something or should I file it in Bugzilla.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Leon...