[Samba] Winbindd_privileged permissions pb on RHEL 4 AS

fabelli at strategie-info.com fabelli at strategie-info.com
Fri Feb 24 15:13:24 GMT 2006

Hi,

I've got an unbelievable problem : I'm trying to setup samba on RHEL 4 AS
PPC(iSeries) to work with a Win2K domain controler.
I use the same smb.conf file (and the same configuration procedure) on a
Fedora 3 box too. I have no problem with the Fedora server, but on the
RHEL 4 server, Windows clients are unable to browse the server and I've
this strange error appearing in the log.winbindd file :

[2006/02/23 18:16:35, 2]
nsswitch/winbindd_pam.c:winbindd_pam_auth_crap(429)
  winbindd_pam_auth_crap: non-privileged access denied.  !
  winbindd_pam_auth_crap: Ensure permissions on
/var/cache/samba/winbindd_privileged are set correctly.
[2006/02/23 18:16:35, 2]
nsswitch/winbindd_pam.c:winbindd_pam_auth_crap(642)
  NTLM CRAP authentication for user [(null)]\[(null)] returned
NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED (PAM: 4)

The winbindd_privileged permissions are :
drwxr-x---  2 root root

My smb.conf file is :

[global]
    printing = cups
    disable spoolss = Yes
    show add printer wizard = No
    dns proxy = no
    security = DOMAIN
    idmap uid = 15000-20000
    idmap gid = 15000-20000
    winbind use default domain = Yes
    use sendfile = Yes

    workgroup = STRATEGIE
    netbios name = Svrlinux1
    server string = Serveur Linux1

    os level = 64
        preferred master = yes
        local master = yes

    log level = 2
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    load printers = no
    printcap name = lpstat
    max log size = 50

I've followed these configuration steps without any problem :
- Add the machine to the domain with net net rpc join -UmyUser%myPasswd
- Run wbinfo -t
- Run wbinfo -u et wbinfo -g to retrieve user and groups from the domain
controler
- Checked that winbind is working with getent passwd anWindowsUser
- Tried to authenticate a user with wbinfo -a
myWindowsUser%myWindowsPassword

The latter command returns :
plaintext password authentication succeeded
challenge/response password authentication succeeded

A google search about the winbind's error give me answers relating to
squid, but I do not have it installed on my server.

I've also tried to change the directory's permissions to 777 but then
winbind crashes and complains with :
lib/util_sock.c:create_pipe_sock(1056)
  invalid permissions on socket directory
/var/cache/samba/winbindd_privileged