[Samba] Backup Servers

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Fri Feb 24 12:11:43 GMT 2006

Hi Ian,
the nt 4 domain schema ( which is valid for samba )
resides in a pdc and bdcs ( this is done via ldap replication with samba
), so if the pdc istn allive the bdc will you give auth for logon with a
windows client.
The problem is ,a users home or/and roam profile can only be hosted on
one place, so if the server ( smb pdc, bdc,nas whatever) which is
hosting the
homes and profiles, is down, there is no chance to get home and/or
profile at logon,cause this is a unique entry in ldap.
So a real backupserver on the fly is not possible with nt4,
in case the pdc is not longer online the bdc must be upgraded to pdc
and/or the home/profile files must be copied with all user permissions
to i.e the new pdc ( i.e. upgraded from bdc, or other online smb/cifs
machines ) and the entries of the users homes/profiles must be changed
to point there.
for shure you can use rsync ( or equals) to have files/profiles/homes
synced with your pdc so you would have them online in case of failures.
I guess this will be better with samba 4 as it acts as ad controller (
but i am not sure),
but for now i see no "cheap" solution which makes which makes it
possible to have backup servers full functionally without any admin
intervention in case of failures.
I maybe fail , but in this case Jerry will have the right stuff
for you , i never used this  patch because i see no real sense in it,
having pdc and bdc rightly configured.
Best Regards

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen