[Samba] preserving ownership when copying from Windows to Samba

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Feb 24 03:18:20 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 10:20 +0100, Artur Majdiuk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to copy a huge amount of files and directories from a file server
> running Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP4 to a file server running Gentoo
> Linux 2005.1 and Samba-3.0.14a compiled with acl, winbind, Kerberos and
> LDAP support. Both machines are members of an Active Directory domain. The
> data to copy reside on NTFS filesystem and have a complex ACL and
> ownership structure which has to be preserved during copying. For copying
> I am going to use Microsoft ntbackup tool which should preserve ACLs but
> what about ownership? Thanks for any suggestions.
----
I believe that the tool to use is robocopy (I think it is in the Windows
Resource Kits) and that should preserve attributes.

I don't think that you can use Gentoo with an NTFS filesystem and expect
it to preserve any attributes whatsoever so that may be an issue.

Of course, I could be wrong on both of these statements.

Craig