[Samba] domain user notifications?

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 22:30:05 GMT 2006

On 2/23/06, Mark Rutherford <mark at maunzelectronics.com> wrote:
> Is there a method of notifying users of a domain about a server or print
> queue reboot/shutdown/maintenance/problem?
> Our old Netware servers used to do this, and everyone seems to rely on
> the fact that they will be told they have X minutes
> remaining on a power failure, ect.

smbclient -M lets you send messages via the WinPopup / Messenger (not
to be confused with Windows Messenger / MSN Messenger) service.

You'll have to write a script to run it for each computer in your
domain, AFAIK, and Messenger is disabled in XP SP 2, so you'll need to
reenable it on any clients running that OS (and firewall the relevant
ports off from the Internet to stop Messenger spam).

Josh Kelley