[Samba] random file size % 2 Gigabytes

Brian Ford Brian.Ford at flightsafety.com
Thu Feb 23 19:54:18 GMT 2006

Running samba-3.0.20b-3.4 on a fully patched Suse Linux Enterprise Server
9:

$ uname -a
Linux server 2.6.5-7.244-smp #1 SMP Mon Dec 12 18:32:25 UTC 2005 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

with a fully patched Windows XP Pro client, we occasionally see the size
for large files (~350 Gigabytes in this case) reported by Windows explorer
to be the real size modulo 2 Gigabytes.  When the size is reported
incorrectly, accessing data at the end of the file is obviously not
possible.  At other random times, the size is reported correctly and file
access is also normal.

On Solaris [8|9] with samba 2.2.12 serving the same file NFS mounted from
the server above, the problem never seems to occur.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?  What can I do to further track this
down?

Thanks.

--
Brian Ford