[Samba] inherit groups?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Feb 23 03:25:15 GMT 2006

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 04:07:01PM -0600, Marc Donnelly wrote:
> I'm wondering if there is a better way of doing this.
>
> Right now we have a share (ShareA) with three sub directories in it
> (Dir1, Dir2, Dir3) that have specific groups set for each directory. We
> would like to have newly created files and/or directories inherit the
> parent directories group.  Right now were using SETGID bit to
> accomplish this.
>
> Is there a better way to accomplish this via samba?  We are using
> create mask and directory mask in smb.conf to ensure permission are
> consistent.  However that doesn't seem to affect groups ownership.  We
> also used "inherit permission = yes" but that also doesn't fill the
> need.
>
> Is there something similar to 'inherit owner" but for groups?

Not currently. I deliberately didn't add "inherit group" because
the SETGID bit in UNIX means the same thing. Anything I added
in smbd would just do the same thing, only slower :-). I could
add it if people would find it easier to set the same thing on
a per-share basis without having to mess with UNIX permissions,
although as I say it'll be slower.

I'm curious as to why this isn't working for you. Can you
give more details ?

Jeremy.