[Samba] ? BDC & LDAP

Chuck Kollars chuck at ckollars.org
Thu Feb 23 01:35:35 GMT 2006

Can I set up a *second* server as a BDC yet still have all my file-share requests routed to the *first* server? In other words can I have *two* domain controllers but only *one* file share? If I can, what's the rough sketch of the configuration I want?

My short-term goal is to not have any Microsoft software in the back room so as to avoid paying the Gates tax. (My long-term goal is in a few years to not have any Microsoft software on the clients either for the same reason.)

(Or maybe I'm not asking the right specific question, missing the forest for the trees. If you'd like to back up and view the whole picture and offer some meta-advice, here's my situation: I'm hosting "home" directories for each of ~800 students and teachers. [A flash/thumb drive for every user would cost a whole lot more than a couple servers in the back room.] I currently use domain login only to a] allow a startup script to map the "home" directory to a drive and b] validate credentials right away so it doesn't need to be done at file save time. Currently I do all this with only *one* Samba server acting as both a file share and a PDC; it works tolerably well, but seems overly risky.)
--
Chuck Kollars - principal Kollars Informatics