[Samba] How to make a symlink appear as a real file (for a Linux client)?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed Feb 22 16:53:31 GMT 2006

I have a share with a couple of symlinked files in it.

On a Samba server, it looks like this for "addon" directory:

# ls -l
(...) acrobatreader7
(...) addon -> /home/samba/unattended-write/packages

Now, if I mount it on a Linux client using smbmount, symlinks point to
non existing directories locally (/home/samba/unattended-write/packages
exist only on a Samba server):

# smbmount //192.168.111.172/unattended /mnt/1
# ls -l /mnt/1
(...) acrobatreader7/
(...) addon -> /home/samba/unattended-write/packages

On a Windows client, however, I can browse the files in such directories
just fine.

I would rather expect that to happen on a Linux client, too (i.e., Linux
client should not see it as symlinks, but as real files/directories).

Where can I look for a solution?

I didn't find anything about it in smbmount nor in smb.conf manuals.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
Software deployment with Samba