AW: [Samba] Samba with 2 subnet browsing

Torsten Geile zuhause at tippex.net
Wed Feb 22 12:37:24 GMT 2006

Hi,

Am Mon, 20 Feb 2006 07:20:15 +0100 schrieb wLLm:

> I have a problem browsing in my subnets let me explain me situation:
>
> I have a m0n0wall (FreeBSD based router software) with 3 nics.
> nic1:My WAN connection
> Nic2:My LAN connection (192.168.0.0/24 m0n0 is DHCP)
> Nic3:My Wifi connenciot (192.168.1.0/24 m0n0 is DHCP)
>
> just using ip-adresses acrossed the network is no problem.
>
> now i want to use windows browsing works on LAN but can't see the
computers
> in WiFi
>
> now i gave my samba server 2 nics (nic1:192.168.0.2 nic2:192.168.1.2) in
my
> wifi network i can see my LAN clients
> in my LAN network i can't see my Wifi clients and the wifi clients can't
> connect to computer seen in browsing
>
> I've tried wins support, does not work for me
>
> does anyone else have a solution vor this ?

For subnetbrowsing across subnets you will need a LMB and DMB for each
subnet. In my case, a samba server serves this pupose. furthermore each
samba server needs 2 more directives in smb.conf

remote announce = remote_ip_of_dmb/local_workgroup
remote browse sync = remote_ip_of_dmb

I have tried to use on of the samba servers as a wins server, but this
caused trouble whith browsing, so our w2kserver is offering the wins
service.

hth

torsten