[Samba] Samba 3.0.21b winbind crash

Thomas Limoncelli limoncelli at web.de
Wed Feb 22 10:50:36 GMT 2006

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 01:07:32AM +0100, Thomas Limoncelli wrote:
>>I'm using Samba 3.0.21b on SuSE 9.3 Pro (x86) with the binary RPMs from samba.org/suse.com (3.0.21b-1.1.2-SUSE-SL9.3) on a Domain Member Server in ADS mode with winbind against W2K3 SP1 AD servers and idmap uids/gids stored in a central OpenLDAP directory.
>>
>>Unfortunately, winbind gives me a hard time and reproducibly dies with a PANIC on a "wbinfo -g", although I think I've followed TOSHARG's and S3bE's advices and have used it successfully in similar environments (although not with 3.0.21b) in the past. Can anyone shed some light on this? Below please find my smb.conf and level 10 log.winbindd (both slightly obfuscated to protect the innocent, but not mangled in any other way). I can provide Ethereal traces privately on request.
>
> Can you add the following line to the [global] section of your smb.conf.
>
> panic action = "/bin/sleep 90000"
>
> and then when winbindd crashes it will hang waiting
> for the sleep to finish. You can then attach to it with
> gdb and get a backtrace using the "bt" command.

Unfortunately the backtrace doesn't look too meaningful (like in the
original level 10 debug) although I've installed the samba-debuginfo
package.

myserver# gdb winbindd 24887
[...]
(gdb) bt
#0  0xffffe410 in ?? ()

Is there anything else I can do to help tracking this down?
Shall I file a bugzilla entry and assign to the SuSE package maintainer?

Best regards,
-TL