[Samba] My Network Places not finding Samba server

Frederick C. Damen fred at damen.org
Wed Feb 22 04:11:47 GMT 2006

I changed the smb.conf to have a different NetBios Name then the
workgroup 'DAMEN'.
There does not appear to any change from the XP 'My Network Places'
Although the nmbd.log indicates that the name DAMEN<00> is not found.
[2006/02/21 21:24:14, 1]
nmbd/nmbd_incomingrequests.c:process_node_status_request(328)
  process_node_status_request: status request for name DAMEN<00> from IP
192.168.0.1 on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET -
name not found.
[2006/02/21 21:24:16, 1]
nmbd/nmbd_incomingrequests.c:process_node_status_request(328)
  process_node_status_request: status request for name DAMEN<00> from IP
192.168.0.1 on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET -
name not found.

Although  'nmblookup DAMEN' finds the name when executed on the linux
box upon which smbd/nmbd is running.
querying DAMEN on 192.168.255.255
192.168.0.1 DAMEN<00>

This appear to (not)work the same with or without DAMEN listed in the
lmhosts file.
Do I need to list the workgroup name somewhere else also?

Thanks,

Fred