[Samba] WINS and INet~Services name

Leon Stringer leon.stringer at ntlworld.com
Tue Feb 21 20:56:39 GMT 2006

Hi,

I've posted before about the problem with WINS and the INet~Services
name IIS uses.
(http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2005-August/110189.html)

The problem I get is when any host running IIS tries to renew its names
with the Samba WINS server (e.g. after the default 5-day period) the
renewal fails for *all* names for the server.

As I understand it the problem is with Samba's WINS server
implementation not handling the mixed case Windows uses for the
"Inet~Services#1c" name. (Am I correct in thinking all other NetBIOS
names are upper case only?).

So I was wondering, Samba Team, if this is going to be handled at some
point? Should I put it in Bugzilla?

I realise the general advice is to use a Microsoft WINS server in this
kind of scenario but I like Samba, everything else works fine for me.

(Disclaimer: I'm still running Samba 3.0.4 - as I said everything else
works great - but I've looked out for a fix for this and I don't think
it's been done to date).

All the best,

Leon...