[Samba] Adding machine account to LDAP with pdbedit fails

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Mon Feb 20 20:03:10 GMT 2006

Arc C. wrote:

>   I am having a problem adding a machine account with pdbedit. My setup is the
> latest samba (3.0.21b) compiled from
> source on Solaris 10, SUN's latest JES' Directory Server.
> The DS error log show this
> [19/Feb/2006:11:20:21 -0600] - ERROR<5896> - Schema  - conn=-1 op=-1 msgId=-1
> - User error:  Entry
> "uid=baltika$,ou=Computers,dc=dcvast,dc=com", attribute "sambaSID" required by
> object class "sambaSamAccount" is missing

I'd venture to guess that this is a bug in pdbedit.  The samba schema
definitely requires sambaSid for sambaSamAccount objects, and pdbedit
clearly isn't specifying that attribute when it adds a machine account.

I know that the smbldap-tools scripts add the posix account without the
sambaSamAccount objectclass and values, which smbd adds when the machine
joins the domain.  I'm not familiar enough with pdbedit to know whether
it should behave like those scripts, or add the sambaSid attribute.  I
guess the latter seems more likely.