[Samba] Samba LDAP PDC BDC quit working

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Feb 20 17:22:57 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 11:55 +0530, mallapadi niranjan wrote:
> Hi all
>

> I too have the same problem , i am also using samba 3.0.21 with
> openldap  version 2.2.13 on Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 enterprise
> server.
> if the samba PDC gets rebooted aburuptly,  some of my clients
> workstations (Windows 2000 professional) have to rejoin.
> i was asked to check whether RID of the computer name is correct(uid*2
> + 1000) , ans whether
> computer names have SambaSAMAccount object class.
> eventhough my computernames' exist in the database with correct object
> class and rid, the clients
> have to be rejoined. this happens only when samba PDC with ldap gets
> rebooted abruptly.
> having said that, so i assume that LDAP is unable to maintain
> consistency when it gets rebooted.
>
> so i had kept DB_CONFIG file in /var/lib/ldap(this is where all bdb
> files are there) and use db_recover
> in case of any crash of ldap.
>
> But if we take backup in LDIF file and restore it, but still my
> computer accounts are not getting back, i had to rejoin.
>
> this is the problem that i am having, but still could not find the
> correct solution.
----
No - as you and he describe it, these are separate problems.

Your issues is that PDC shouldn't get rebooted abruptly and newer
versions of openldap have a script that automatically runs db_recover.
This however doesn't come in the version of openldap that ships with
RHEL

You might want to set up a cron script that performs a slapcat on a more
frequent basis so that if it is necessary to dump the entire LDAP DSA
and reload from an ldif, the ldif is much more current and thus, you
wouldn't have to rejoin many if any computers to the domain.

Craig