[Samba] 3 simple questions

MJBarber at Hearst.com MJBarber at Hearst.com
Mon Feb 20 15:11:09 GMT 2006

For the user profile....

If he were to use a different path say /etc/samba/%U ... Then the user
would no longer have root access to the machine right?

Does the config below allow root access because it is an include and could
possibly execute code, this along with the fact the user can look at and
(maybe) even edit the include file?

Many thanks,
MJ Barber

-----Original Message-----
From: samba-bounces+mjbarber=hearst.com at lists.samba.org
[mailto:samba-bounces+mjbarber=hearst.com at lists.samba.org] On Behalf Of
Gerald (Jerry) Carter
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2006 9:52 AM
To: petermatulis at yahoo.ca
Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: Re: [Samba] 3 simple questions

Peter wrote:
> Hi.  I am running 3.0.20.
>
> 1. I would like to have an include statement pointing to user
> configurations.  For a user, say 'mike', the following works:
>
>    include = /home/mike/smb.conf
>
> But this does not:
>
>    include = /home/%u/smb.conf

This is a really bad idea btw.  You are allowing your users to easily gain
root access to teh server.  But if you really want don't mind this, try:

	include = /home/%U/smb.conf

> 2. I have disabled printing using:
>
>    disable spoolss = yes
>
> My logs are filling up with messages (every 30 minutes):
>
> printing/print_cups.c:cups_cache_reload(85)
>   Unable to connect to CUPS server localhost - Connection refused

[global]
	printing = bsd
	printcap name = /dev/null

> 3. Is there any way to have a truly anonymous connection?

	security = user
	map to guest = bad user
	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
	guest ok = yes