[Samba] My Network Places not finding Samba server

Frederick C. Damen fred at damen.org
Sat Feb 18 06:41:11 GMT 2006

I assume I am doing(or not) something extremely simple that is causing my
XP boxes to not see my linux(FC4) Samba server in the 'My Network Places'.

I can access the shares by 'Map Network Drive' and using the IP
address(192.168.0.1).
I have set the workgroup name 'DAMEN' in the lmhosts file.
192.168.0.1 DAMEN

I have set the workgroup in the smb.conf file.
        workgroup = damen
        netbios name = damen
I have configured the Samba server to be the Domain Master Browser
        os level = 35
   domain master = yes
        preferred master = yes
   wins support = yes
I have configured the [global] to be browseable.
        browseable = yes
        public = yes

I have set the XP box to be on a home network(not bussiness network) and
workgroup to DAMEN.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Fred