[Samba] xenophobe client

Georg Heidenreich Georg.Heidenreich at fujitsu-siemens.com
Sun Feb 19 05:59:36 GMT 2006

I found a problem within my home setup with non-ASCII file/directory
names. It may be just a config item for Samba, but Windoze also
fails.=20

Situation:
A: low power Linux server (mandrake 9.1, samba 2.2.8a-13mdk)
containing directory tree where some of the subdirs and files have
Chinese (simplified) names.  My wife copied them there from her XP
notebook, which is a chinese-i-fied Fujitsu, originally US version.
>From her side all the dirnames and filenames look as they should.

B: Thecus N4100 NAS raid box (internally running samba 3.0.14a)

1. I can copy those files from A to B using her notebook, everything=20=

fine.=20

2. If I copy the same tree using my own XP notebook (US-en installed,
I consciously avoided to install any Chinese features in it although I
live in China) and the dir/file names come out IBM pseudographics, if
I look at them from my wife's XP.  But that's windows and I am a
Unix/Linux guy, so who cares ...=20

3. I mount A and B on my workstation C (mandrake 10.1, samba
3.0.13-2mdk) and copy the tree 'cd /mnt/A/tree; cp -r . /mnt/B' .
This time cp complains:

"cp: cannot stat `./:2566:2510:252c:2556:2553=AB:252c:251c': No such fi=
le
or directory"

At least nothing is copied, small consolation.

I realize that mixing two samba worlds (2+3) is probably not a good
idea, but somehow I would expect that cp would just take the bits from
the one file name and paste them on the target filename, the same as
it copies the files (they are pristine).  But in both cases they are
mangled.=20

Where does the corruption happen, reading the file names from A or
inside cp?

If cp is clean, can the mounts be configured by the client C in a way
that they will be intact on B?=20

I am copying to B because I want to scrap A, and since I can use my
wife's notebook, no need to upgrade A at this point any longer.  I
just wanted to know how to do clean copies between those different
environments if possible, using Linux.

Thanks,

-gh

--=20