[Samba] smb/cifs or nfsv3: which is "cheaper"

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Sat Feb 18 02:41:41 GMT 2006

Anthony Messina wrote:

> My question is, which is "cheaper" both in terms of processing power and
> network overhead: nfsv3 or smbfs or cifs?  I'll also take information on
> nfsv4, though that is not my current setup.

I'd expect NFS to be the better option for Linux <-> Linux sharing.  In
particular, because the daemon is in the kernel, it should perform better.

Of course, since NFS is similar in security to samba with
security=share, you should be able to have both running, and their
configurations will be very minimal.  If NFS doesn't do it for you, you
can try samba fairly easily.