[Samba] Outlook path to pst file is lost when using roaming profiles

Douglas Phillipson phillipd at oem.doe.gov
Fri Feb 17 19:52:36 GMT 2006

We are having a problem getting the path to the Outlook PST file to move
from machine to machine using roaming profiles (Samba 3.0.10 on RHEL 4).
  When a user logs off on one machine and logs on to another, the
outlook path to the PST file is gone.  I found this message in the
archive back in 2002 but I see no resolution for it:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2002-July/047507.html

Here is the text from that post:

Does anybody know how to manage roaming profiles with outlook 2002 ? I
have XP boxes with roaming profiles and all work fine. The only problem
is that
XP doesn´t export the path where outlook stores ist .pst file. This is
not the problem for the .pst file where outlook stores contacts and so.
The path of the normal pst is on a network drive.  But I have an IMAP
mail account for every user and if you configure outlook for imap it
creates another .pst file under the normal path ...Local
Settings../outlook/
I am not able to store this file under a different path e.g. a network
drive. I think that there are 2 ways for my problem:

1.) show outlook the path to a network drive for the imap pst as I did
it for the normal pst --> I don´t know how

2.) export the whole outlook path under local settings -->

It works, but not for a long time:

After you create an outlook account for the first time, outlook adds a
registry entry under

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
--> ExcludeProfileDirs

In this entry you can add directories of the roaming profile not to
export. --> because of that, the outlook pst would not exported with the
roaming profile. If I delete this entry on all workstations under the
default and the user profile of the registry it works for some time.
But after some time, I don´t know why the entry is back in the registry
to not export the outlook folder.

Does anybody have an idea ?

Regards sven

Has anybody else seen this problem or found a resolution?

Thanks

Doug P