[Samba] Strange messages in logs

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 15:09:16 GMT 2006

On 2/16/06, Emmanuel Lesouef <elesouef at zubrowka.org> wrote:
> I often have this type of message in my samba logs :
>
> Feb 16 18:06:42 lxdata smbd[3731]:   read_socket_data: recv failure for
> 4. Error = No route to host
>
> and
>
> Feb 16 18:06:42 lxdata smbd[3731]: [2006/02/16 18:06:42, 0]
> lib/util_sock.c:read_socket_data(384)

This seems to be a FAQ.

If the messages are from 0.0.0.0, then the problem is that Windows
clients by default open connections on both port 139 and port 445.
When one connection succeeds, they silently drop the other connection.
 The messages that you're seeing are from Samba realizing the
connection was dropped.

You can get rid of the messages by setting "smb ports = 139" (which
will force Win2K and newer clients to use NetBT, even if they don't
have to) or "smb ports = 445" (which will break pre-Win2K clients),
but they're harmless, and I'd recommend just ignoring them.

If the messages are from another IP address, then that probably
indicates a client problem or networking problem.

Josh Kelley