[Samba] How do I use machine password for groupmember list?

Anthony David adavid at adavid.com.au
Fri Feb 17 01:06:55 GMT 2006

I have successfully set up squid with ntlm_auth as per the Squid FAQ
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-23.html#ss23.5 using a Win 2003 AD
for NTLM2 authentication.

The winbindd and nmbd servers are 3.0.20b, installed from Suse SLES 9 SP3.

There is a requirement to manage web surfing by groups, and a cron job needs to
obtain a list of members of groups.

net rap -S AD groupmember list -U PROD+Administrator%password "General Web"
 works quite nicely, listing members of Mygroup.

wbinfo --get-auth-user works nicely, returning PROD+Administrator$password

However, net rap -S AD groupmember list -P "General Web" fails
(wrong username/password)

Sure, I could use the first approach, with a less privileged account,
but I would like to know why I can't get the -P option to work.

I also tried with an explicit -U Administrator -P and a few other
desperate permutations. There is something lacking in my understanding. If
someone could point me in the right direction, I would be grateful.

--
Anthony David

Gambling(n): A discretionary tax on those asleep during high school maths
http://adavid.com.au/
0xA72CE1ED fingerprint = EA1E C69E FE59 BBE1 AA4B  F354 BD09 9765 A72C E1ED