[Samba] Samba version and ports

Don Meyer dlmeyer at uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 16 23:40:03 GMT 2006

James,

IIRC, the CIFS protocol (as implemented by Microsoft) requires
listening ports 445/tcp & 139/tcp, with 137/udp &
138/udp.  Configurable ports would tend to make interoperability
moot, hence the lack of port configuration info in the config file.

For version info, I'd suggest restarting the running smbd daemon,
then looking toward the end of the /var/log/samba/log.smbd file for
the restart banner, which should indicate the version.

-D