[Samba] hiding dot files and the printer

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Thu Feb 16 04:55:13 GMT 2006

> > I cannot hide my unix dot files (.bash_history) using the 'hide
> > files' or 'veto files' settings:
>
> Err... "hide dot files = yes"?  "man smb.conf" is most informative ;-)

Okay, so I should read other posts before responding ;-)  At any rate,
I think I've discovered the problem - both "hide dot files = yes" and
"hide files = /.*/" work, but I think you're expecting them to be
removed from the directory list given to the Windows box - they're not,
they're just assigned the hidden attribute - so if you've got hidden
files visible in Windows Explorer then they'll still be visible, albeit
with a semi-transparent icon...but if you tell Windows not to show
hidden files then they'll go away.

As to the printers thing that's not really a Samba issue, Windows
displays it for all PCs that support a certain RPC - it may disappear
if you do something like "load printers = no", but I'm not sure.

Cheers,
Adam.