[Samba] Is there a way to map user ids to the same rid on every smb box

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Feb 16 01:46:57 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 09:38 -0500, Parker, Michael wrote:
> I know the documentation talks about using a backend ldap server which I
> don't have, nor do I want to dig into figuring out how to setup.  Are
> there other easy methods, such as replicate a file among all my smb
> servers.  If so, what is the file?
----
given that you've asked the list this question in this manner, I would
venture to say that it's smbpasswd but had you read the documentation,
you would also know why this is going to be a problem too.

rather than tell you what the next problem and likely, your next
question will be, let me suggest that you read through the excellent
official documentation that is provided to you free of charge...

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs

and suggest that for the acutely impatient, the 'By Example'
documentation is worth looking at - just a few chapters should be
sufficient.

Craig