[Samba] Samba does not work with new AD groups

Parker, Michael Michael.Parker at AcuityBrands.com
Wed Feb 15 14:25:55 GMT 2006

Hi all,

I've configured a system to authenticate with an AD 2k3 domain (all
domain controllers have SP1) using winbind.  I have joined the server to
the domain as well. I created some shares to work with AD groups.
Here's a quick snippet of a share from my smb.conf file:

[test]

        comment = test share for winbind testing

        path = /u01/test

        write list = @ll_main/rhmps

The problem I have is if I tell the write list command to use an
existing AD group which I am already a member of, I can write to the
share.  If on the other hand, I create a new AD group, add my user
account to the group, then tell the write list to use the new group, I
cannot write to the share.  I have rebooted my test workstations, tried
writing to the share from multiple XP (SP2), workstations logged out/in,
and rebooted my smb server.  Nothing seems to help and I'm not seeing
anything in any logs to explain the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  If I can get it to work, I plan
to put this into production.  Do you think it would be wise?

My samba server is a redat 3.0 box with update 5.  The samba version is
samba-3.0.9-1.3E.5

Thanks in advance for the help.

Michael