[Samba] Samba rpm and /var/*/samba directory for .tdb files

Don Meyer dlmeyer at uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 15 19:31:48 GMT 2006

At 08:24 AM 2/15/2006, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
>Oliver Schulze L. wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I use CentOS4 (RHEL4) and it seems that I was using /var/lib/samba
> > for storing the .tdb files. Then I compilled the fedora .src.rpm from
> > samba.org
> > and it points now to /var/cache/samba
>
>This was a mistake introduced into the RPM specfile during a
>recent set of merges.  When it was realized, the 3.0.21b-1 rpm was
>pulled from samba.org and a new set of RPMs posted.  The tdb files
>should live in /var/lib/samba/

Actually, stock RHEL4 rpms for their 3.0.10-1.4E.2 version use
/var/cache/samba/.

Does this change in the packaging reflect a "sea change" towards use
of /var/lib/samba/ for the future?    (I.E. Can we "expect" future
RHEL-distributed packagings to adopt use of /var/lib/samba/ as well?)

-D

Don Meyer                                           <dlmeyer at uiuc.edu>
Network Manager, ACES Academic Computing Facility
Technical System Manager, ACES TeleNet System
UIUC College of ACES, Information Technology and Communication Services

temporary safety,
         deserve neither liberty or safety."     -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759