[Samba] How to delete NON-EMPTY directories through a Samba share?

Sandor Balogh bsandor at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 08:19:48 GMT 2006

Hi,

The shared folder is owned by root:products_admin
drwxrwsr-x    2 root     products_admins     4096 Feb 13 07:56 data

This directory contains another directory created through his samba share
drwxrwsr-x    2 bas      products_admins     4096 Feb 14 09:08
a_new_directory

As you can see, the directory is owned by user bas (that would be me) and by
the group products_admin.
User bas is member of group products_admin.

The content of directory a_new_directory:
-rwxrwxr-x    1 bas      products_admins     6769 Dec 12 10:14 softice.txt

I am trying to delete the directory with the same user bas, but this only
succeeds when the directory is empty. Still I can rename it independently of
it's content.

I know that in UNIX world, you can delete a folder which has some contents,
only if you delete it's contents recursively. This should be specified in
command line using option -R (-r). By default UNIX does not ask you if you
want to delete the content of the directory. It's just give you an error
message saying that wht are you trying to delete is a directory (he thinks
that you don't kno that :))  I think here is the same kind of problem.

Thanks,
Sandor