[Samba] lilesystem size limit samba on 64bit 2.6 kernel vs. clients win2k/winxp ?

Michael Will mwill at penguincomputing.com
Mon Feb 13 21:13:24 GMT 2006

I had an incredibly hard time finding any documentation on filesystem size
limits for samba on 64bit linux with 2.6 kernel exporting to 32bit windows 2003
and windows-xp by googling.

The closest I could get to was that cifs filesystem size correlates to ntfs
filesystem size and therefore there would be a 64TB limit. Are there additional
limits within the software stack that I should be aware of?

We are considering exporting a 40TB xfs filesystem striped over 20 2TB luns on a
fibre channel SAN via LVM2 on SLES9-SP3, and will be falling back to 16TB
filesystems if necessary. Anything below that would be cumbersome because of the
amount of mountpoints.

Can the 32bit windows clients keep up with that size as long as the files on the
filesystem are not larger than 4GB?

Michael