[Samba] Can't connect to shared printer

ANDREW NASH nashcom at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 13 13:05:52 GMT 2006

I carried out a Unix/Samba upgrade at the weekend, and upgraded Samba from 2.2.8 to 3.0.10.  The server is acting as a PDC, and WINS server.

Our PCs are running Windows XP Pro SP1.  I didn't make any changes to the PCs.  One PC has an old LaserJet4 attached to a parallel port, and it shares this printer so that four other users can print to it.

This morning, no-one can print to this printer (apart from the PC it's connected to).

It looks to be a password issue, or possibly some sort of SMB thing.  If I try "NET VIEW XPPC038" (that's the name of the PC that's sharing the printer) from another PC, it says "System Error 5 has occurred - Access denied".  If I type "NET PRINT \\XPPC038\HPLJ4PLUS" it says "System Error 1326 has occurred - Logon failure unknown username or bad password".

I ran "NET STATISTICS SERVER" on the 'serving' PC, and it says there are 634 password violations.

The Guest account seems to be enabled, and I've checked the permissions on the printer share so that Everyone has print access.  I've re-booted the PC, and I've stopped/enabled the printer share.

I'm not sure what to do...  Could it be something like WINS or Winbindd in Samba config?  i.e. Is it likely to be a server-side problem, or something that's happened to the PC that's sharing the printer?