[Samba] Neither host nor Windows client can connect to host's LAN IP address

Karen Heiby karenheiby at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 16:47:23 GMT 2006

Greetings,

I am not sure whether this is a CUPS or SAMBA problem; I'll try here first.

I was reading up on how to speed up Windows XP SP2 client printing with
Cups/Samba--I'm sure you're all familiar with the Windows XP SP2 problem.
Simply browsing for the printer worked, but Windows stalled and stalled while
communicating with it.  I did get a test page printed but it was painfully
slow.

To get around this problem, I want to have the Windows client add the printer
by the server's LAN address, 192.168.0.101.  That is, the URL I'd add the
printer with in Windows XP would be
http://192.168.0.101:631/printers/stylusc46

It can't connect to this address, and in fact, the server itself which is
running Samba and Cups, cannot connect to its own LAN address 192.168.0.101
either on this port, 631.

No firewall is even installed.

I can't make sense of this because I also run Apache on port 80 here, and both
machines can connect to http://192.168.0.101 and get served with the website
requested.  Both machines know where 192.168.0.101 *is*, but any attempts to
communicate on port 631 seem to go nowhere, with nothing helpful in any logs
that I can see.

Cups is running, and so is Samba, and both have been restarted many times.

The machine running Samba also successfully connects to
http://127.0.0.1:631/printers just fine.  Samba and/or Cups just doesn't want
to listen to connections requesting the Lan IP address, for some reason.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do, or is something broke?
Here's what I'm running:
SuSE 9.3 x86_64
samba-3.0.13-1.1
cups-1.1.23-7.2

With Samba, I can access folders shared by the Win XP machine just fine, so I
know it is working somewhat.

Thanks,
Karen