[Samba] GPL question regarding distribution

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Sat Feb 11 18:03:11 GMT 2006

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 02:47:11PM +0100, Henrik Zagerholm wrote:
> Hi list,
> I've read the GPL and have som questions regarding incorporating GPL
> tools in other software.
> Lets say that I make an Webbapplication that on some occasions uses a
> GPL tool i.e nmblookup or rpcclient how much of my code do I need to
> release under the GPL? Only the code interacting with the tool or all
> of it (graphics, cgi scripts, designs etc etc)?
> If that is the case how do you handle i.e designs that you have
> bought as a one use licens?

IANL

Assuming your are just forking the above mentioned applications, and are therefore neither copying the code nor 'linking', then your application is not required to be GPL.  If you distribute copies of those programs with your app, you  must include a copy of the GPL license as well as a method for recipents to get source (it's probably easier just to include the sources for them.)