[Samba] chown DOMAIN+mylogin /dir fails (Please help)

Doug VanLeuven roamdad at sonic.net
Fri Feb 10 20:22:37 GMT 2006

David Shapiro wrote:
> I only see winbind_nss_aix.po, but I do not see the .c file.  NIS ALL
> works, but LDAP and WINBIND both do not.

Hi Dave,
I'm having to work from memory as the work I did on AIX ended
last June.  In addidtion, when I formulated the phase transitions
from samba 2.x nt40 style member to samba 3.x AD member, it
was 2003 and at that time, winbindd on AIX wouldn't support
returning sufficient information to allow managing user and
group accounts using the -R option to chuser, chgroup, mkuser,
mkgroup, rmuser, rmgroup.  That's why the writeups say
/usr/lib/security/methods.cfg WINBIND: options=authonly
and KRB5A: options=authonly

So NIS and LDAP can be used to maintain the user and group
attributes but winbind and kerberos were only used to
authenticate an existing user defined locally or in NIS/LDAP,
where LDAP is the AIX native LDAP security model.

If NIS works and LDAP and WINBIND don't, it looks like you've
implemented NIS but not LDAP and WINBIND is configured to
"authonly".  If winbind's capable of returning sufficient
information to satisfy lsuser, remove the authonly option.
I figured you'd look thru winbind_nss_aix.c and make a
determiniation whether or not that was possible with
your version of samba.

Regards, Doug