[Samba] Question on AIX 5.2, Samba and NT domains

Kent Wick Kent.Wick at ers.state.tx.us
Fri Feb 10 17:33:08 GMT 2006

Environment:
  AIX 5.2
  Samba 3.0.21b (compiled at this site with Visualage C/C++ 6.0)
      configure was run as:
      ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/samba --with-pam --with-acl-support --with-aio-support --with-winbind
  Windows environment is a mix of Windows NT domain and Novell file servers.

Does anybody know of a single document or set of documents that have a "cookbook"
approach to creating/modifying the necessary AIX files to work with Samba with "pam",
"winbind" and NSS support as a "member server"?

If I have userids in the NT domain that are longer than 8 characters, am I "effed" when trying to get
them to seamlessly access Samba?  AIX 5.2 and below do not allow a username or group name to
have a value longer than 8 characters.  Do I need a "username map" file for the long usernames?
As far as I can tell, the issue of long names in NT versus limitations of some OS versions is never
discussed.

The "Samba3-HOWTO" document(s) in Chapter 23 talk about the compile process creating the file
"libnss_winbind.so".  Something changed between document and Makefile because I get a file named
WINBIND automatically created.  In that same chapter, it goes on to talk about verifying winbind.
I can run the "wbinfo -u" and "wbinfo -g" commands just find and it returns the the users and gorups
in the NT domain that Samba joined.  Then the document talks about using "getent" to see both local
(AIX) and PDC users and groups.  Unfortunately, I don't have that one in executable form.  I can see
the "getent" source in the testsuite/nsswitch directory but when I compile just that program all that
it returns in the local users, nothing from the PDC.

If I am using Samba as a member server, do I even need to worry about integrating PAM and winbindd?

Another few "nit's" in the Samba-HOWTO in "The Samba Checklist":
(1) When I run the "smbclient -L sambasrvrname" (as root), it asks for a password.  When I give it the root
password, it comes back with "session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE".  When I just press
enter in response to the password request, it responds that it connected anonymously and returns the
necessary data.
(2) The "nmblookup" command in step 4 needs to be clarified a bit more.  When I look at a print of the
web page, it sure looks like the BIGSERVER and the "__SAMBA__" are run together.  For that matter,
I had to go the web page source to be certain that the "__" was a double underscore and not a single.
Given the way some laser printer formatting works, it is entirely possible that it could have been a single
underscore.